Our curriculum is committed to community service and empowerment and social justice. As such, our programs provide students with a cross-disciplinary understanding of the historical and present-day issues facing the Latina/Latino/Latinx diaspora. We prepare our students with a comprehensive knowledge base and critical thinking skills that enable scholarly inquiry and analysis committed to justice and liberation.
Once students graduate from our programs, they are prepared to succeed in various career pathways, including teaching, law, medicine and counseling. Please see below for more detailed information about our program. We look forward to supporting you on your career path!
Students who graduate with a B.A. in Latina/Latino Studies will:
- Understand and identify the origins and context of diverse individual and group experiences of Latinas and Latinos in the U.S.
- Develop an understanding of Latina/Latino Studies that is community-centered, reflexive, gender-sensitive and grounded in a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Assess the historical and contemporary experiences of Latinas and Latinos with special emphasis on gender and how gender structures identities, roles and relationships both domestically and transnationally.
- Develop competency in the research and analysis of the personal, family, immigration, gender and youth histories of Latinas/Latinos in the U.S. through the utilization of oral history and ethnographic theoretical perspectives and methodologies.
- Be able to make links between content in the Latina/Latino Studies curriculum and practice in the community.
- Develop an area of expertise and depth in Latina/Latino populations in the U.S. In addition to the major's multidisciplinary foundation, we encourage students to sharpen their expertise in Latino demographics and one of the three broad areas of our departmental course offerings: #1 Arts and Humanities, #2 History or #3 Behavioral and Social Science.
- Develop competency in writing skills relevant to Latina/Latino Studies and Ethnic Studies.
Explore LTNS Programs
Get Ready for Your Future at SF State