Katynka Z. Martinez, Ph.D.
Professor and Interim Associate Dean, College of Ethnic Studies
Office: EP 121
Phone: (415) 338-1693
Here’s a bit about me…
- I was born in East LA at a hospital that is now the site of the Hilda Solis Learning Academy
- I grew up in Los Angeles and played softball in Montebello and Pico Rivera for about five years
- As an undergraduate student, I was a staff member of the UC Santa Cruz campus newspaper
- I was the director of a Latina film festival the year before beginning my SF State professor position
- I interviewed Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna for the bilingual Mission District newspaper El Tecolote
- Bird watching and bird listening brings me joy
- SF State journalist Sebastian Mino-Bucheli asked me to create a playlist for Latinx heritage month. The podcast and playlist are available on the Golden Gate XPress website
- Ph.D., Communication, UC San Diego
- B.A., Sociology, UC Santa Cruz
Cultural studies, media studies, community journalism, visual culture, community-generated artwork related to día de los muertos
- LTNS 110: Critical Thinking in Latina/Latino Studies
- LTNS 225: Survey of Latina/Latino Visual Images
- LTNS 315: Latinas/Latinos in California
- LTNS 409: Latina/o/x Cinema
- LTNS 530: Latinas/Latinos and the Media
- LTNS 536: Latina/Latino Journalism
- "Una Vida Brava: Yolanda Lopez." Multi-dimensional art installation. ReclaMision 2021: Renacimiento. Jamestown Community Center and Acción Latina. October 23 – December 2, 2021.
- “El Jardin de la Amistad: The Friendship Garden.” Multi-dimensional art installation. City of Souls: Día De Los Muertos Exhibition. SOMArts Cultural Center. October 12 – November 8, 2019.
- “Bath Time.” Multi-dimensional art installation. Remembrance and Resistance: Día De Los Muertos Exhibition. SOMArts Cultural Center. October 6 – November 9, 2017.
- “Ven a Mi Encuentro.” Video for 2016 Encuentro del Canto Popular (Latin American Folk Song Concert). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilpYi8GSpL4&feature=youtu.be
- “Amor Eterno: Estudio Martita.” Multi-dimensional art installation. A Promise Not to Forget: Día De Los Muertos Exhibition. SOMArts Cultural Center. October 7 – November 5, 2016.
- “¡A Cortar Caña!” Multi-dimensional art installation. Today is the Shadow of Tomorrow: Día De Los Muertos Exhibition. SOMArts Cultural Center. October 9 – November 7, 2015.
- Board President. Acción Latina. San Francisco, California. August 2014 – present.
- Board Member. Acción Latina. San Francisco, California. August 2009 – present.
- Member. Organizing Committee. 35th Annual Encuentro del Canto Popular (Latin American Folk Music Concert). San Francisco, California. May – December 2016.
- Co-Author. Programming Grant. “Latino Voices: A History of Latino Press, Radio, and Comic Arts in the United States.” Latino Americans: 500 Years of History. National Endowment for the Humanities initiative, The Common Good: Humanities in the Public Square, November 2015 - May 2016.
- Member. Organizing Committee. 34th Annual Encuentro del Canto Popular (Latin American Folk Song Concert). San Francisco, California. May – December 2015.
- Film Festival Screening Committee. Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts. San Francisco, California. September 2011.
- Moderator. Question and Answer with director Oscar Torres. Screening of Voces Inocentes and fundraiser for EcoViva. San Francisco, California. March 24, 2011.
- Film Festival Award Juror. San Francisco International Latino Film Festival. 2008.
- Film Festival Director. Boyle Heights Latina Independent Film Extravaganza (BHLIFE). CASA 0101 Theatre. 2009 E. First Street, Los Angeles, California 90033. December 8-10, 2006.
- Interim Associate Dean. College of Ethnic Studies Studies. July 2022 – present.
- Department Chair. Department of Latina/Latino Studies. August 2017 – August 2022.
- Graduate Coordinator. Ethnic Studies MA program. August 2016 – August 2022.
- Faculty Representative. Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Latinx Student Services Workgroup. June 1, 2019 – present.
- Member. Ad-Hoc Group Organizing SF State Spanish-language Parent Sessions/Orientations. May 2018 – present.
- Member. Faculty Affairs Leadership Team: Inclusion and Equity in Tenure Track Faculty Hiring. January 2018 – present.
- Member. Office of Equity Programs & Compliance Anti-Bullying Workgroup. January 2018 – January 2019.
- Participant. Developing a First-Year Seminar Faculty Learning Community. Co-sponsored by the Center for Equity & Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CEETL) and the Division of Undergraduate Education and Academic Planning (DUEAP)’s First Year Experience Program. August 2018 – August 2019.
- Member. Search Committee for the College of Ethnic Studies Dean. September 2018 – April 2019.
- College of Ethnic Studies Representative. Academic Senate Library Advisory Committee. Fall 2014 – Fall 2016.
- Chair. Subcommittee on Overlays, General Education Council. Fall 2012 – Spring 2014.
- College of Ethnic Studies Representative. Subcommittee on Overlays, General Education Council. 2011 – 2012.
- College of Ethnic Studies Representative. Liberal Studies Council. 2011 – 2013.
- Subcommittee on Community Service Learning Course Designation. Institute for Civic and Community Engagement (ICCE). 2009 – 2012.
- Special Issue of Latino Studies: "The Art of Latina and Latino Elderhood." Co-editor with Mérida M. Rúa. Volume 19, Number 4, 2021.
- “Hairpiece: a photo essay featuring Yolanda Lopez” in Latino Studies. Volume 19, Number 4, 2021.
- “‘I Exist Because You Exist:’ Teaching History and Supporting Student Engagement through Bilingual Community Journalism” in Civic Engagement in Diverse Latina/o
- Communities: Learning from Social Justice Partnerships in Action. Edited by Mari Castañeda and Joseph Krupczynski. New York: Peter Lang Publishing. 2018.
- “Latina/Latino Community Journalism: Surviving the ‘Crisis in Journalism’” in The Routledge Companion to Latina/o Media. Edited by María Elena Cepeda and Dolores Inés Casillas. 2017.
- “Translating Telenovelas in a Neo-Network Era: Finding an Online Home for MyNetwork Soaps” in Wired TV: Laboring Over an Interactive Future. Edited by Denise Mann. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. 2014.
- “RBD” in Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd ed. Edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. New York: Oxford University Press. 2013.
- “Regional Mexican Music” in Grove Dictionary of American Music, 2nd ed. Edited by Charles Hiroshi Garrett. New York: Oxford University Press. 2013.
- “Pac-Man Meets the Minutemen: Video Games by Los Angeles Latino Youth” in National Civic Review. Fall 2011.
- Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Living and Learning with New Media. 2010. Ito, Mizuko, Sonja Baumer, Matteo Bittanti, danah boyd, Rachel Cody, Becky Herr-Stephenson, Heather A. Horst, Patricia G. Lange, Dilan Mahendran, Katynka Z. Martínez, C.J. Pascoe, Dan Perkel, Laura Robinson, Christo Sims, and Lisa Tripp (with Judd Antin, Megan Finn, Arthur Law, Annie Manion, Sarai Mitnick, Dan Schlossberg and Sarita Yardi). Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from the Digital Youth Project. 2009. Ito, Mizuko, Heather Horst, Matteo Bittanti, danah boyd, Becky Herr-Stephenson, Patricia G. Lange, C.J. Pascoe, and Laura Robinson (with Sonja Baumer, Rachel Cody, Dilan Mahendran, Katynka Z. Martínez, Dan Perkel, Christo Sims, and Lisa Tripp). Cambridge: MIT Press.
- “Real Women and Their Curves: Letters to the Editor and a Magazine’s Celebration of the ‘Latina body’” in Latina/o Communication Studies Today. Edited by Angharad N. Valdivia. New York: Peter Lang Press. 2008.
- “Girls, Digital Culture, and New Media” in Girl Culture: An Encyclopedia. Edited by Claudia Mitchell and Jacqueline Reid-Walsh. Portsmouth: Greenwood Press. 2008.
- “Quinceañera” in Girl Culture: An Encyclopedia. Edited by Claudia Mitchell and Jacqueline Reid-Walsh. Portsmouth: Greenwood Press. 2008.
- “Monolingualism, Biculturalism, and Cable TV: HBO Latino and the Promise of the Multiplex” in Cable Visions: Television Beyond Broadcasting. Edited by Sarah Banet-Weiser, Cynthia Chris, and Anthony Freitas. New York: New York University Press. 2007.
- “American Idols with Caribbean Soul: Cubanidad and the Latin Grammys” in Latino Studies. Volume 4, Number 4, 2006.